Karma Portal Stand
Holds a stable karma portal
A karma portal stand (abbr. "KPS") is a device that creates and/or maintains stabilized karma portals, which enables the player to visit locations without causing damage to the surrounding areas. They are seen in Submachine 9: The Temple, Submachine 10: The Exit, and Submachine Universe.
KPS designs range in complexity. The section below arranges karma portal stands from least complex to most complex.
General SubVerse KPSsEdit
Basic SubVerse KPSs generally take on the shape of a brass pole with a brass stablilizing ring. These are the most basic of stand shapes, and also probably the weakest since one is shown destroyed in the quiet rooms.
Several SubVerse locations contain KPSs that consist of karma.
Temple/Nataraja room KPSsEdit
The temple and the Nataraja room contain slightly more complex KPSs that hold green karma portals. Usually the basic ring-and-post design is built into another object, for example a wall fitting or a table with candle holders.
KPSs similar to those can be found in certain Submachine Universe locations, such as the primary gate control the pyramidion, and the observatory. One of the observatory KPSs holds a green karma portal.
In contradiction to the design of the portal stand in Submachine 10 it uses 12 light bulbs instead of portal stabilizers. What looks like a power source below the metal ring is very likely a controller or distributor (see watchtower) as its plugged into a thick power cable of some sort.
Submachine 10 KPSsEdit
There are several versions of extremely complex portal stands found in Submachine 10, but they all are equipped with 8 portal stabilizers to prevent any damage to the surroundings. Although all are powered with karmic energy, the energy source can only be seen nearby those in the angel ruins and the meditation temple. In the karma studies facility, vector finders are used as another modification.
Locations of karma portal stands:
- Angel ruins (OOO). Leads to the lighthouse dungeon of Submachine 2: The Lighthouse.
- Royal storage facilities (IOO), Unit 33/2. Leads to Level X in the Loop (Submachine 3: The Loop).
- Resin mine (OIO), Resin deposit. Leads to the lab's rooftop (Submachine 4: The Lab).
- Iron pyramid (OOI), Locked underground room. Leads to the citric acid room of Submachine 5: The Root.
- Karma studies facility (IIO), Rear right part. Leads to the cliffs (Submachine 6: The Edge).
- S.H.I.V.A. access point (OII), Left sphere. Leads to the Winter Palace (Submachine 7: The Core).
- Stabilizer bay (IOI), Highest level. Leads to the dock (Submachine 8: The Plan).
- Meditation temple (III), Isolated middle room. Leads to the temple (Submachine 9: The Temple).
Karma portals within KPSs rotate differently from unstabilized karma portals. A normal karma portal's rings rotate slower the further they are from the center. A portal within a stand rotates the opposite way, with the rings rotating faster the further they are from the center.
The lavender room and the edge filtration corridor (Submachine Universe) contain similar KPSs. The KPS in the antenna control room doesn't seem to be equipped with portal stabilizers, but it still requires karmic energy to be activated. These 3 KPSs support karma portals that rotate in a usual way.
The Lighthouse Annex KPSEdit
Sub10 KPSs are classified as prototypes, but this location has a KPS that belongs to the second or third generation.The basic ring-and-post shape is clearly recognizable, but, unlike the previous generation KPSs, this one looks much more slick and solid, even though it's withered by time.