Sub-bots or subbots are robots created by the subnet. The Portals in Submachine 4 and Submachine 5 were reverse engineered by humans from prototypes created for the sub-bots. They were first introduced in Pastel Forum by the author in 2009.
In Submachine 10, inactive sub-bots can be found scattered through the locations. They consist of a metal cylinder, serving as their "body", inside which some copper cables can be seen. Attached to it is an articulated metal arm, a glass hemisphere covering a small antenna at one of the cylinder's ends (the "head"), and a metal spike with a round tip at the other end (a single "leg"). Some of the sub-bots are missing one or more pieces.
In the Sub-bot research room one can find fan-drawings of reverse engineering sketches by sir William Taylor from research team 006, quadrant 318 (a former user in Pastel Forum known as TheVoid). They show flimsy human-like arms, a connection pod unit, a leg and a head unit. However, these were only prototypes, and sub-bots look completely different.
Their function is similar the Google bots' function: jumping from page to page, and checking for any changes, which will be updated to the main page. They move around the Subnet through the portals. In fact, this network was created specifically for them, and was only later modified by humans to accommodate themselves.
In Submachine Universe it was seen that sub-bots too leave notes behind to receive instructions. All bots have an ID-number (in form #-#-#-#). They go around and analyze problems they found and send messages to some kind of station that orders them to either fix the problem or leave it be.
The message has following facts:
- The bot's ID
- The number of its maintenance round.
- The problem with all of its effects.
- Presumably the coordinate the bot shall move to next.
Sub-bots have seen seen stored in large pods with electric wiring similar the one seen inside S.H.I.V.A. It is currently unknown what purpose this serves.
- Author stated that they will not appear in Submachine 6.
- The Sub-bots were -despite what he had said- hinted at multiple occasions in Submachine 6.
- The Submachine Network Exploration Experience featured multiple rooms dedicated to the sub-bots.
- Sub-bots make several appearances in Submachine 10: The Exit, but by that time they have all been shut down for unknown reasons, and as such are just background objects.