Submachine 9: The Temple
March 14th, 2014
Submachine 9: the Temple is the ninth game in the Submachine series. It was released on March 14, 2014. The name was announced on September 28, 2012, at the end of Submachine 8: The Plan. Work on the game began on October 3, 2013.
The game starts out with the player in the Garden, having walked through the gateway in the previous game. The player discovers a fountain of karmic water and collects a jug of it. The player then uses it on designated bowls to open a path to the Pyramid. The player continues to solve puzzles using the Navigator and karmic water and heads deeper into the Pyramid and the Temple, discovering the tombs of Murtaugh and Elizabeth and inscriptions that detail the history surrounding the two characters and the Submachine Universe.
The first area of the game, where the player appears after traversing the portal in the water pantheon in Submachine 8. It serves as an entrance to the temple proper. It consists of an outdoor area, where a karmic water fountain and the entrance to the pyramid can be found, and a small building made of red brick.
The titular temple found buried beneath the pyramid. It is symmetrically divided in two sections, one of them partially covered in red resin. It contains the tombs of Murtaugh and Elizabeth, where their mummified bodies reside, as well as the entrance to the Shiva section.
The final area of the game where a massive statue of Shiva can be found. It contains the missing eighth button of the navigator, as well as a big white portal in its layer 8 version, leading to the "exit of the structure".
This is a secret location containing some notes, which can be accessed through layer 8 only after finishing the game. Each of the five secret balls collected throughout the game opens up a sublocation with a note, much like in Submachine 5.
Development and history
On December 13, 2013, Skutnik announced that the game's release would be postponed until the following year due to illness. He also posted the second screenshot from the game.
A third screenshot was posted on January 28, 2014.
A fourth screenshot was posted on February 6, 2014.
A fifth teaser was published on February 9, 2014.  This one included the initial sketch along with the finished room.
On February 17, 2014, Skutnik announced that the game would be released in March 2014, stated in his release notes of Daymare Town 3 HD.
On March 14, 2014, the game was released around 08:30 UTC +8:00.
- This is the only game in the Submachine series so far where combining inventory items is used.
- The player's inventory is limited to 10 items. If the player attempts to collect beyond this limit, text spelling "THE INVENTORY IS FULL..." will appear with a short buzzer sound effect.
- ↑ Skutnik, Mateusz (2014-02-07). http://www.mateuszskutnik.com/archive/submachine-9-the-temple/. Mateusz Skutnik Archive. Retrieved 2014-02-17
- ↑ http://www.mateuszskutnik.com/workshop/
- ↑ Skutnik, Mateusz (2013-11-25). This is the first screen from new Submachine 9. Take a look:. Facebook status update. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- ↑ Skutnik, Mateusz (2013-12-17). Submachine 9 will NOT be published in 2013. Mateusz Skutnik Archive. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
- ↑ Skutnik, Mateusz (2014-01-28). Sub 9 scr 3. Mateusz Skutnik Archive. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- ↑ Skutnik, Mateusz (2014-02-06). Sub 9 scr 4. Mateusz Skutnik Archive. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- ↑ Skutnik, Mateusz (2014-02-09). Sub 9 scr 5. Mateusz Skutnik Archive. Retrieved 2014-02-09.
- ↑ Skutnik, Mateusz (2013-02-17). http://www.mateuszskutnik.com/archive/daymare-town-3-hd-released/ Mateusz Skutnik Archive. Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- ↑ Skutnik, Mateusz (2014-03-09). yeah, once I finish it. Next week.. Facebook status update. Retrieved 2014-03-09.
- ↑ Skutnik, Mateusz (2014-03-12). 99%. No more puns, only serious business. All done, just waiting for me to push the button. I'm releasing it on FRIDAY around 8 AM ET. Don't complain about the date - it was a democratic decision, you're responsible for this one. Facebook status update. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
|Main series||1: The Basement (iSubmachine) • 2: The Lighthouse (sketch) • 3: The Loop • 4: The Lab • 5: The Root |
6: The Edge • 7: The Core • 8: The Plan • 9: The Temple • 10: The Exit
|Side series||Submachine Universe • Ancient Adventure • Future Loop Foundation(HD) • 32 Chambers • The Engine|